Friday, December 26, 2014

August 6, 2011 Bowen Gulch

August 6, 2011 Bowen Gulch- Valley 5 mile rt.

Just what the doctor called for; a easy hike. Very tired all week long after the Mt Ida hike.  Left the house around 3:30 a.m. Arrived at Gaskil barn area around 6:00 a.m. Turned on the dirt road and two yearling cow moose were near the road. Looked like twins, but did not see the Mom around. The air was very cool.Winter Park temperature was 39 degrees, but felt warmer here. Just as I approached the Colorado River another older yearling was by the river. I took a few pictures. She crossed the river and came right by me. She proceeded to the west towards the forest. I saw another one south going to the east towards the cabins sought of the barn. Great way to start off the hike. Once I got on the portion of the trail that comes from the Baker/Bowen trailhead the trail is very nice. Very easy trail. The closer you get to the northern end the more little creeks you cross. A couple of very muddy areas my boots have taken a beating this year. At the Baker/Bowen trailhead they have an access for the hunters during hunting season, I always wonder why they would go here. Now I know why. When you get close to the trailhead the trail comes very close to the valley floor and the National Forest begins.  From this area you can see the elk in the valley in the early morning and once the sun comes up they will wander into the forest. The hunters wait and follow them. They probably work in pairs; one a spotter and the other taking the shot(s).
The portion that we tried cross country skiing last winter looks totally different without all the snow and fallen trees.  It's a wide road to a creek which  you would never know with all the snow. We had a hard time skiing it due to the fallen trees and snow amounts. It is amazing to see it now.  I followed a few animal tracks to explore. One deadhead and found another more interesting, eventually it took me just north of the trail. this particular animal trail was being used alot. There is a small creek that is an overflow from the Bowen Gulch creek that runs near the trail.  I saw this man walking fast away from the forest along the creek. The land south  of the overflow is private land. I thought he might be the owner, you could tell he was on a mission.  He worked himself around the small creek to the road past me and back into the forest. Strange. The creek is running very high. The grass in the area is about a foot and half tall and very green. No elk though. I was walking around the barn area and taking pictures of the wild flowers and on the way back ran into the same man. He told me this area just opened about 2 weeks ago.  I headed back to the truck there is an area just south of the parking lot that has a sign private drive.  I have seen moose down in this area before so  waled along the river avoiding the private drive. I could see moose tracks near the fence.  Last year I saw a Cow and two babies in the same area last year. As I headed back to the truck I see a cow and baby laying down. I could not get clean shot.  I moved in closer, maybe too close, but could not get a clear shot. Finally they got up and headed south, I was able to get some good shots.  This area is just a mess with all the down trees.  They have been cutting the beetle kill trees and some have fallen on the fences breaking them down.
Heading back I came to the gate and saw a family having a picnic right by the river.  I then notice two moose right across from me. A cow and baby, I got some good pictures.  There is a fence that runs along the river and the baby was going to get on the other side, It tried going in between but would not fit. Finally it went under.  The Mom just jumped it. The people having the picnic had no idea what the animals were across the stream.  Amazing. I saw two other moose while driving toward the Colorado River Trail, and a juge cow and Bull near the Beaver Pond area.

No comments:

Post a Comment